Silicon & Silicone
Silicon, the 14th element on the periodic table is the second most abundant element on the Earth’s crust. It can be found in the forms of sand and quartz. Once extracted, silicon is synthesized in a lab with other constituents and silicone, the polymer is born.
Essentially modified glass, silicone is not just any polymer, but considered the missing link between organic and inorganic chemistry. Possessing both organic and inorganic properties, silicone has some clear mechanical and chemical advantages over traditional thermoplastics.
Benefits of Silicone
- Biocompatible (silicone elicits no immune response)
- Hygienic (does not support bacterial growth)
- Supports skin growth and scar treatment
- Shown to increase suspension
- Shown to increase range of motion
- Extremely temperature stable (-70° C to 250° C)
- High elasticity and compressibility
- Limitless customization (e.g. integrated multiple durometers, colors, wire channels, straps, custom art, embedded components, etc.)
Sockets & Liners
What types of silicone does 14ELMT use?
Rolled: (aka HTV) provides the structure
Injected: (aka RTV) provides the cushion
Combination: Includes both rolled and injected silicone
- Both rolled and injected silicone come in a range of hardness (durometer)